Orange Loaf Cake (Vegan)
Delicious zesty vegan orange loaf cake drizzled with orange icing. This cake is moist, fluffy, and bursting with citrus flavor. Perfect for making the most out of citrus season!
- 300 g plain flour sieved
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder sieved
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 200 g light muscovado sugar or cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 180 ml soy milk or plant-based milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 118 ml olive oil or neutral oil such as rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 60 ml orange juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 175°C (350°F). Lightly grease an 8" loaf tin and place a sling of parchment paper into it to help lift out the cake once baked.
To make the vegan "buttermilk" add the soy milk and apple cider vinegar to a small bowl, stir and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Add the sieved flour and baking powder to a bowl and whisk to evenly mix, set aside. To the bowl add the olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract, and whisk again to combine.
Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a separate large bowl and whisk to combine. If there are any clumps of sugar, work these out using your fingertips.
Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until evenly mixed.
Add the cake batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 mins. Check the cake is ready by inserting a knife or toothpick into it, which should come out clean.
Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack.
Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by adding the ingredients to a bowl and whisking until smooth.
Once the cake has cooled, place a sheet of parchment paper under the cooling rack to catch any icing. Pour the glaze on top of the cake, add more or less depending on your taste. Slice and serve.
Store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.Freeze this cake in an airtight container and defrost it a couple of hours before serving.Freezing instructions
- Use unwaxed oranges, organic if possible. Waxed fruits are generally not vegan due to their coating. It's also a good idea to go for organic if you can as you'll be using the orange peel.
- With any baking, accuracy is key, and measuring in grams will always be more accurate.
- Light muscovado sugar can sometimes "clump" together. Get your hands into the dry ingredients and work out any lumps of sugar as these can create spots when baking.
- Use a parchment paper sling: A parchment sling covers the bottom and sides of the loaf tin, making it so much easier to lift out your vegan loaf cake once baked.
- If you want to frost this cake instead of glazing it you can also use vegan cream cheese frosting.
Calories: 377kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 180mg | Potassium: 116mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 104IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg