This recipe was made in collaboration with Iswari Superfoods, all views are my own.
Everyone needs a staple pancake recipe in their kitchen, and these easy-to-make vegan buttermilk pancakes are fluffy and quick to whip together. Once your family and friends try these vegan pancakes they might be surprised that they are completely egg-free and dairy-free!
Oat milk or soy milk is mixed together with apple cider vinegar to create a vegan version of "buttermilk". This is what helps the pancakes to get all fluffy and irresistible!
All-purpose flour: regular all-purpose flour makes the fluffiest pancakes, in my opinion, so we're not swapping it out for any fancy subs. You can go for a gluten-free all-purpose flour if required.
Baking soda: this is our leavening agent for these vegan pancakes that will create little bubbles in the batter, making them light and fluffy.
Maca powder: this ingredient is completely optional, it adds what I like to describe as a slight "salted caramel" flavor to the batter.
Pure maple syrup: pancakes and maple syrup make the perfect team, we're adding some to the batter to sweeten it BEFORE cooking.
Coconut oil: I'd recommend using refined coconut oil if you want to avoid the coconut taste.
Vanilla extract: as well as adding flavor, vanilla helps to enhance the sweetness of these pancakes.
How to make easy vegan pancakes
(Full recipe and instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post)
Prepare the pancake batter
First, make the vegan "buttermilk: Simply mix together the oat milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and allow it to sit for about five minutes. The mixture will separate, which is what you want!
Next add the dry ingredients to a bowl (all-purpose flour, baking soda, and maca powder if using) and whisk them together to make sure they're nice and evenly distributed. Now combine the wet ingredients together (pure maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, vegan buttermilk mixture). Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk well to combine everything.
Fry the pancakes
Add some coconut oil to a frying pan and place on medium heat. Use an ice cream scoop or a ladle to add the batter to the frying pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes until firm underneath before flipping and cooking the other side for another minute or so. Repeat this until you have used up all of the batter.
Stacking up and serving your fluffy pancakes is possibly the most fun part (besides eating them of course!). Here are some options for great additions to your pancakes, choose your favorite or combine a few different elements!
Salted Caramel Sauce: I use a combination of vegan protein powder (Salted Caramel Protein), peanut butter, pure maple syrup, and salt to get an irresistible salted caramel sauce (full recipe in the recipe card below). You can also serve them with healthy date caramel.
Chocolate Fudge Sauce: this is a simple combination of coconut milk/cream and dairy-free chocolate melted together to create a decadent chocolate fudge sauce! (full recipe in the recipe card below) You could also drizzle them with vegan chocolate ganache.
Pure maple syrup: you can't go wrong with good ole maple syrup, these pancakes even just on their own with some maple syrup are a divine breakfast option.
Fruit: raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, banana, in fact, any fruit of your choice would be an amazing and healthy addition to these pancakes.
Vegan vanilla ice cream: whether you use a ready-made brand, homemade vanilla ice cream, or a simple banana ice cream (blended frozen banana and plant-based milk), ice cream is a great addition if you love that hot and cold combination.
More Brunch Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ★★★★★ rating in the recipe card below and consider leaving a comment as well, thanks!
Salted Caramel Sauce
- Add the oat milk and apple cider vinegar to a bowl and mix, set aside for 5 minutes to make vegan “buttermilk”.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and maca powder in a large bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to the bowl with the vegan buttermilk and whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk well.
- Add some coconut oil to a frying pan and place on medium heat. Use an ice cream scoop to add the batter to the frying pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes until firm underneath before flipping and cooking the other side for another minute or so. Repeat this until you have used up all of the batter.
Salted Caramel Sauce
- To make the salted caramel sauce, add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk until smooth.
Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- For the chocolate fudge sauce, add the coconut milk and chocolate to a heat-resistant bowl and melt over a double boiler. Once the chocolate has melted, stir until smooth.
- Stack the pancakes between layers alternating between 1 tablespoon of salted caramel sauce and 1 tablespoon of chocolate fudge sauce. Serve with vegan vanilla ice cream.
© addictedtodates.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. If you want to share this recipe, please do so using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or republish the recipe or content in full. instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.