This one-ingredient homemade pistachio butter needs no frills or extras. No coconut oil or other added oils, and no added sugar, sweeteners or salt.
It uses raw pistachios which are gently heated in order to retain their vibrant color while releasing that nutty sweet flavor.
📖 Recipe Overview
- Quick & Easy Preparation - Ready to eat in just 15 minutes.
- Smooth & Creamy Texture - This nut butter has a runny consistency that thickens up slightly in the fridge, great for spreading and adding to recipes.
- Vibrant Color - The method in this recipe helps retain the color of the pistachios, making it a great natural color as well as flavor to desserts.
- Incredibly Versatile - You can totally eat it straight from the spoon, but this creamy pistachio butter makes a delicious addition to toast, desserts, or porridge.
- Allergy-Friendly - Naturally vegan, dairy-free, eggless, gluten-free, paleo, keto, and grain-free.
🧾 Ingredients Needed
As promised, you only 1 ingredient to make delicious pistachio butter at home:
Raw Shelled Pistachios have the best color and a slightly sweet flavor, making them perfect for homemade nut butter. You can use unsalted roasted pistachios if you prefer, just note that the nut butter will have a duller color- the flavor will be great though!
🥣 How To Make Pistachio Butter
This homemade pistachio butter is quick and easy to prepare, here's how:
Step 1: Toast the pistachios. You're warming up the nuts here rather than roasting them. This ensures that you don't lose the vibrant color and sweet flavor.
Step 2: Blend the pistachios. Add the lightly toasted pistachios to a high-speed blender and blitz on low speed.
Step 3: Scrape down the edges. First, the pistachios will resemble ground nuts. Scrape down the edges of the blender jug with a spatula.
Step 4: Continue To Process. After a couple of minutes, the pistachios will start to turn into a thick paste. Scrape the edges again, and now turn the speed up to medium-high and blend.
Step 5: The pistachios will start to release their natural oils and become smooth at this stage. Turn the blender speed up to high, and keep going!
Step 6: Blend until smooth. After 7-10 minutes, you'll have delicious runny pistachio butter. Transfer the pistachio butter to a sealed airtight container.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
There are endless ways to use pistachio butter in recipes, both sweet and savory. Here are some of my favorites:
- Desserts - Add it to raw brownies, energy balls, and truffles in place of other nut butter. Add it in place of soaked nuts to this white chocolate pistachio tart, or in place of pistachio paste in this no-bake chocolate tart. You can also use it to fill vegan donuts or to make pistachio tiramisu.
- Drinks - Add a tablespoon to your favorite smoothie for added healthy fats and nutrition. It also tastes amazing in a matcha latte, or as an addition to cocktails and mocktails.
- Cookies - Swap out the peanut butter to make no-bake pistachio cookies.
- Bread - Smother it over bagels, toast, sourdough bread, crackers, muffins, or biscuits.
- Oatmeal - A dollop of creamy pistachio butter on top of warm oatmeal or mixed into overnight oats is a delicious way to level up your breakfast.
- Savory - Add it to a Vegan Cheese Board, or to pesto in place of pinenuts, cashews, or sunflower seeds.
It'll keep in a dark place at room temperature for 1 week, or in the refrigerator for up to a month. In both cases, make sure you keep it in a sealed jar or airtight container.
This delicious simple pistachio butter tastes fragrantly nutty, slightly sweet, and mildy earthy.
I do not recommend adding any liquid sweeteners of flavors, as these will cause your nut butter to sieze. You are however quite welcome to jazz it up with half a vanilla pod, and a pinch of sea salt.
🥛 More DIY Recipes
- 375 g (3 cups) raw shelled pistachios
- Toast the pistachios: Preheat your oven to 160°C (320°F). Place the raw shelled pistachios on a baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes. You want the nuts to heat up but not brown. Remove the tray from the oven and add the pistachios to a high-speed blender while warm (this will help them release their oils).
- Blend: Blend on low speed for a couple of minutes. First, they will turn into a coarse pistachio meal, and then the mixture will start to form a nut butter consistency.
- Scrape down the edges of the blender every so often and continue to blend for 5-7 minutes. The mixture will look like a thick pistachio paste and eventually it will turn into a runny nut butter consistency.
- Storage: Transfer the pistachio butter to a storage jar with an airtight lid. It will keep at room temperature in a dark place for up to a week, or refrigerated for up to a month.
- To avoid wasting any leftover nut butter from the sides of the blender jug, simply add 2-3 cups of filtered water and blend to make a quick homemade pistachio milk!
© addictedtodates.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. If you want to share this recipe, please do so using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or republish the recipe or content in full. instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.