This vegan peanut butter ice cream is absolutely loaded with peanut butter flavor. Made with a base of creamy peanut butter and oat milk and sweetened with maple syrup.
That means it's made without coconut, which can be tricky with a lot of vegan ice cream recipes. That's because that fat in coconut is usually what gives non-dairy ice cream its rich and creamy mouthfeel. But I totally get that the taste of it is not for everyone!
Luckily, peanut butter already has a high-fat content (which is needed for all good ice cream recipes), so there is no need to rely on coconut cream or coconut milk for texture.
📖 Recipe Overview
- Made with just 6 ingredients.
- Easy to make with just 10 minutes of hands-on preparation.
- Thick, rich and creamy consistency.
- Perfect for summer.
- Completely eggless, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free.
🥜 Ingredients Needed
This recipe is based on my vegan peanut butter ice cream bars, which are no-churn and a great alternative if you don't have an ice cream maker.
- Go for good quality peanut butter or homemade peanut butter, as the flavor will really shine through in this recipe. Some brands add oils and sugars, so avoid these if you want to keep this peanut butter ice cream refined sugar-free.
- As mentioned, oat milk is the base of the ice cream which works together with the peanut butter to create a creamy consistency. You can swap oat milk out for almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk, or any non-dairy milk you like.
- As the ice cream is pretty rich, vegan yogurt adds lightness as well as a delicious cultured flavor. You can use non-dairy Greek-style yogurt, soy yogurt, or coconut yogurt if you don't mind whether the ice cream is coconut-free.
- The ice cream is naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup, but you can also use agave syrup.
- Vanilla extract is a must for ice cream, it adds another layer of flavor and it also enhances the sweetness.
- Sea salt is another must for this recipe. It enhances the peanut flavor and balances the sweetness of the ice cream.
🥣 How To Make Vegan Peanut Butter Ice Cream
(1) Add all of the ingredients to your high-speed blender or food processor (that's peanut butter, oat milk, vegan yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt).
Blend the ingredients until completely smooth and creamy. You don't want there to be any visible lumps. If the mixture appears to be split, don't worry. It will emulsify once you blend it enough.
(2) Transfer the peanut ice cream mixture to an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Mine usually takes 30-40 minutes.
(3) Once churned, the peanut butter ice cream will be thick and creamy. Transfer it to a loaf pan or container and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
(4) Tightly cover the ice cream with plastic wrap, and transfer it to the freezer to set it completely for another 2 hours.
🍦 Serving Ideas
- To serve, drizzle some peanut butter and melted chocolate over the ice cream. The chocolate will harden and it will taste like peanut butter cup ice cream! I normally use dark chocolate, but you can try homemade coconut milk chocolate if you're not a fan of dark chocolate.
- Drizzle raspberry or strawberry sauce, berry coulis, or jam over the ice cream for a peanut butter jelly ice cream situation. Add some vegan whipped cream and you have yourself a delicious vegan ice cream sundae!
- Peanut butter and Nutella go surprisingly well together for a decadent nutty dessert.
- Top a couple of scoops of peanut butter ice cream with homemade vegan caramel sauce, and add crushed roasted peanuts and melted chocolate to make a bowl of vegan snickers ice cream.
Yes, this recipe works best with an ice cream machine. If you can't get your hands on one, try my peanut butter ice cream bars instead.
My personal favorites are Iswari, Pip&Nut, NutShed (without honey), Pic's, and Manilife. These all have high-quality peanut butter without added oil or sugar.
Alternatively, homemade peanut butter is an excellent option.
🍨 More Vegan Ice Cream
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend for a couple of minutes until completely smooth and creamy. If the mixture is lumpy/split, continue blending and it will emulsify.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions, mine usually takes about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to a loaf pan, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.
Storage and serving
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Remove the ice cream from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving to allow it to thaw slightly and use a hot wet ice cream scoop to serve.
- Make sure you freeze the bowl from the ice cream machine at least 8-12 hours before making the recipe.
- Heat your ice cream scoop in hot water before scooping to get perfect scoops every time.
- Swap out the peanut butter for almond butter, cashew butter, or hazelnut butter to switch up the flavor.
© addictedtodates.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. If you want to share this recipe, please do so using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or republish the recipe or content in full. instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.