To make this delicious and easy vegan chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, you'll need 2 pre-prepared ingredients, edible cookie dough, and non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
I like to use homemade vegan ice cream, but you could just as easily use readymade ice cream and save yourself a few steps!
According to Food Channel, it is one of the most popular ice cream flavors out there, and it's no surprise! With chunks of chocolate chip cookie dough in sweet and creamy vanilla ice cream, it is simply divine!
📖 Recipe Overview
- Easy to make with 6-ingredient cookie dough and ice cream of your choice.
- Incredibly moreish and satisfying with cookie dough chunks in every bite of ice cream.
- Completely eggless, dairy-free, and gluten-free as long as you use homemade vegan ice cream.
🍪 Ingredients Needed
- For the vegan edible cookie dough, the 6 ingredients you need are ground almonds, chocolate chips, sugar, vegan butter, vanilla, and sea salt.
- For homemade cookie dough ice cream from scratch, I recommend making this vanilla ice cream. It has the perfect scoopable consistency and vanilla flavor which work so well with the cookie dough chunks.
- Ingredients for the ice cream include vegan condensed milk, coconut milk, soy or oat milk, vanilla, sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
🥣 How To Make Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Step 1: Mix together the cookie dough ingredients (ground almonds, salt, sugar, vegan butter, and vanilla extract) according to the recipe. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 2: Roll the cookie dough into a large dough ball.
Step 3: Shape the cookie dough into balls using either your hands or a cookie scoop. You don't need to be precise with the size.
Step 4: Chop around half of the cookie dough balls in half so that there are several different-sized chunks throughout the ice cream.
Step 5: If you're making homemade vanilla ice cream, transfer it to a large mixing bowl once churned. For shop-bought ice cream, remove it from the freezer for 10 minutes so that it softens slightly, then add it to a large mixing bowl.
Step 6: Use a spatula to stir through most of the edible cookie dough bits.
Step 7: Scoop the ice cream into a loaf pan, and smooth out the top using the spatula.
Step 8: Lastly, top with the remaining cookie dough pieces, cover, and freeze for a couple of hours.
🍪 Optional Variations
Take your cookie dough vegan ice cream to the next level with some added extras:
- For caramel cookie dough ice cream, swirl in some homemade Vegan Caramel Sauce or Date Caramel.
- Vegan Nutella, Ganache, or chocolate fudge sauce would also be delicious swirled into the ice cream before freezing. Or for a fruity twist, swirl in some Strawberry Coulis or Mixed Berry Coulis, or simply pour it over before serving.
Yes, you can make a simple no-churn banana ice cream like the one from my ice cream sandwiches. However, banana ice cream will set much harder than this soy-based ice cream recipe.
You can also skip this step and just use store-bought vegan vanilla ice cream!
It will last frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
This cookie dough does not contain eggs or white flour making it perfectly safe to eat raw or frozen.
Technically most cookie dough contains either raw eggs or untreated flour (or both) so it can be harmful to eat raw.
As the ice cream doesn't contain gums it can set a little harder than commercial ice cream. This is easily solved by taking it out of the freezer 10 minutes before you scoop it.
🍨 More Vegan Ice Cream
Find all of our incredible vegan ice cream recipes here!
- If you're making homemade ice cream, prepare the vegan vanilla ice cream following the instructions up until churning it. If using store-bought ice cream simply take it out of the freezer for 10 minutes to allow it to soften slightly.
- Make the edible cookie dough while the ice cream is churning in the ice cream maker. Once you have rolled the cookie dough into small balls, take roughly half of them and cut them in half so that you have a mixture of different-sized cookie dough bits.
- Transfer the vegan vanilla ice cream to a large mixing bowl and fold in about ¾ of the cookie dough pieces using a spatula or large spoon. Transfer the ice cream to a 2lb (1.5 litre) loaf pan and smooth out the top using the spatula. Scatter the remaining cookie dough pieces on top of the ice cream and cover with a lid or some plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
Storage and Serving
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Allow your homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream to thaw before serving for 10 minutes. This will help it become more scoopable. Always heat the ice cream scoop in some hot water to help get perfect scoops every time.
© addictedtodates.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. If you want to share this recipe, please do so using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or republish the recipe or content in full. instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.