Boasting a deeply chocolatey crust, a luscious vegan chocolate cream filling, and mounds of pillowy vegan whipped cream, you’d never guess this tofu-free silken chocolate pie is made with just 7 simple ingredients.
📖 Recipe Overview
- Quick, Easy, & No-Bake - If no-muss, low-fuss recipes are your style, you’re going to love this vegan chocolate pie recipe. It takes just 25 active minutes to put together, then the fridge does the rest!
- Allergen-Friendly - This naturally egg-free, dairy-free chocolate cream pie can easily be made gluten-free by swapping in your favorite GF cookies. It’s also easy to make either nut-free or soy-free depending on your butter and yogurt choices!
- Rich & Chocolatey - The double whammy of a chocolate cookie crust and creamy chocolate filling means your sweet tooth will definitely be satisfied. Trust me: making chocolate pie vegan doesn’t make it any less chocolatey or indulgent!
🧾 Ingredients Needed
Fewer than 10 ingredients are all that stands between you and this vegan chocolate silk pie. Here’s what to grab:
- Oreos - Original Oreos are completely plant-based, but feel free to swap in the chocolate sandwich cookies of your choice to make this yummy pie with chocolate crust.
- Vegan Block-Style Butter - “Block-style” is the important thing to keep in mind here. Whipped, tub-style butters have different formulations to make them easier to spread, which is not what we need here.
- Vegan Dark Chocolate - Make sure you’re reaching for a minimum of 70% cocoa solids for the best, chocolatiest results possible. Any lower and you risk your chocolate pie not setting!
- Vegan Greek-Style Yogurt or Skyr - I use Alpro brand. You can also use soft silken tofu or thick coconut yogurt if you can't find non-dairy Greek-style yogurt. Please do not use regular soy yogurt or brands that are on the "runner" side, they won't have the thickness needed to set the pie.
- Pure Maple Syrup - This is my liquid sweetener of choice, as it adds a lovely bit of complexity. You may also find success using agave nectar or brown rice syrup, though the flavor will be slightly different if you do.
- Vanilla Bean Paste - Feel free to use an equal amount of vanilla extract instead.
🥣 How To Make Vegan Chocolate Pie
This dairy-free chocolate pie comes together in just a few simple steps. Here’s how:
Step 1: Add the sandwich cookies and sea salt to a food processor and blitz to a fine crumb consistency. Add the vegan butter cubes and blitz again until the mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
Step 2: Press the mixture into the base and sides of the pie pan, Take your time and use a spatula or flat-bottomed glass to smooth it out and make sure it is even and well-compacted.
Step 3: Gently melt the chocolate over a double boiler (au bain-marie) and stir until smooth. Add the cubed butter and stir the mixture with a spatula until all of the butter is evenly melted into the chocolate, leaving a glossy chocolate mixture.
Step 4: Add the non-dairy Greek-style yogurt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk out any lumps with an electric mixer or regular whisk.
Step 5: Add the melted butter chocolate mixture to the yogurt in 3 increments. Whisk between each one to incorporate it into the yogurt.
Step 6: Add pure maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt and whisk again until smooth. Lastly, scrape down the sides of the bowl and combine everything with a spatula to make sure it is evenly mixed.
Step 7: Transfer the creamy chocolate filling into the pie tin. Use an offset spatula to smooth out the top.
Step 8: Refrigerate the pie for 6 hours (or overnight if preferred) until set. You can add a dollop of vegan whipped cream or simply serve it with some more thick Greek-style yogurt.
As much as I love this dairy-free pie recipe just the way it is written, there are plenty of ways for you to make it your own. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cream Pie - You can easily make this vegan chocolate pie gluten-free by swapping in the gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies of your choice.
- Make it a Mud Pie - Chocoholics, this one’s for you. Add a layer of no-bake brownies and a layer of vegan chocolate ganache underneath the chocolate cream filling for a serious expression of chocolate love. NOTE: You’ll only need about ¼ of the brownies recipe and ¼ of the chocolate ganache for a deep-dish 9” pie.
- Different Crust Flavors - Have fun experimenting with different sandwich cookie flavors like chocolate peanut butter, chocolate mint, or even golden Oreos for a fun twist on the original. Consider adding a splash (¼ - ½ teaspoon) of corresponding flavor extract to the chocolate cream filling to take the flavor experiment another step further.
While I can’t speak to all chocolate pie recipes, this vegan French silk pie is naturally free from eggs and dairy, and can easily be made without gluten if you use gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies.
Pop your refrigerated and set pie into an airtight container for the best storage. It’ll last for up to 5 days in the fridge!
Yes! You can freeze this no-bake chocolate vegan pie for up to a month. To defrost, place it on a plate in the fridge overnight.
🥧 More Vegan Pies
- 270 g (9.5 oz) original oreos or oreo style cookies, *see note 1
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 85 g (6 tbsp) vegan butter, (block-style)
- Prepare: Lightly grease the base and sides of a 9" pie pan with some oil or vegan butter. Cut out a circle of parchment the size of the pan and snip it down the sides so that it sits into the pan.
- Make the crust: Add the cookies and salt to a food processor and blitz for a minute or so until it reaches a fine crumb consistency. Add the butter and blend again until the ingredients stick together to form a soft dough consistency.
- Press the mixture into the base and sides of the pan, using a spatula or flat-bottomed glass to smooth it out. Take your time to make sure it is even and well-compacted. Set aside in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Melt the chocolate: Melt the chocolate over a bain-marie (double boiler) and stir until smooth. Add the cubed butter and stir the mixture with a spatula until all of the butter is evenly melted into the chocolate.
- Whisk: Add the Greek-style yogurt to a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer or regular whisk to whisk out any lumps. Add the melted chocolate mixture in 3 increments, whisking to incorporate it into the yogurt each time.
- Sweeten and flavor: Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt and whisk again until smooth. Lastly, scrape down the sides of the bowl and combine everything with a spatula to make sure it is evenly mixed.
- Set: Transfer the filling into the pie tin using a spatula to smooth out the top. Place in the fridge to set for 6 hours (or overnight if preferred).
- Garnish: Make half a batch of vegan whipped cream (if using) or simply serve with some more vegan Greek-style yogurt on top. Decorate with chocolate shavings.
- Storage: Place it in an airtight container in the fridge and consume it within 5 days.
- To make it gluten-free simply swap the cookies in the crust for vegan, gluten-free cookies of your choice.
- You can use soft silken tofu or thick coconut yogurt if you can't get non-dairy Greek-style yogurt. If using tofu, make sure to blend the filling in a high-powered blender or clean food processor until it’s silky smooth.
© addictedtodates.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. If you want to share this recipe, please do so using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or republish the recipe or content in full. instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.